Monday, September 26, 2011

How To Make a Blog Header on Blogger

When I started my blog, I was completely clueless how to make a header, a signature and how to "operate" a blog in general.

I'm still clueless. 

Regardless of my general lack of "know how",  I "Google" until I find a way.  And while I am no expert, I realize there may be hundreds of new bloggers who would love their own blog header.

And they are just as "non computer savvy" as I was.

Step by step, this is how I create my blog headers:

1.  To determine what size your header should be, right click on the current image that is your blog header. 
A box like this will appear.
There is an option "view image info".  Look under "dimensions".  This is an excellent guide to size your blog header.

My header is 1000 x 250 pixels.

2.  To create my header, I use Paint.NET.  While this program is a tad annoying to learn, after a few hours you will have the hang of it.  I prefer it because I find it easiest to use, and it's FREE.

Download Paint.NET.

3.  Using Paint.NET, go to File, and open new.  This is where you will need to know the pixel size you would like your header.

4.  Now you will need the images or pictures you want on your blog header.  I like to edit and size my images in picmonkey, another free online program.

5.  Open your pictures in Picmonkey, and resize and edit them.  This is an excellent program to add text to your pictures, create frames, etc.

When resizing your pictures, REMEMBER the size of your header!  I make my pictures approximately 200 pixels high because I like to save room for text above or underneath them once they are on blog header.

You may want to save them twice, as two different sizes.  This way if you place one on header and it doesn't quite work, you don't need to start over again in Picnik.

6.  When finished editing, save and reopen Paint.Net.

7.  I like to place my images on header first, and once in place work around them.  You can do this however you feel most comfortable.  If you need to move them around, click "undo" under the Edit tab.  You will "undo" many times, trust me.  Just keep reoworking the pictures until they are where you need them.

HOWEVER, once you are finished with your text on Paint.NET it cannot be changed.  This is where it gets toss-the-laptop frustrating.

An easy way to avoid frustration is saving your header after each step.  If your text needs adjusting, find the file right before you added it.  

To upload your images in Paint.NET, go to "Layers", and select "import from file". 

Drag and drop images where you want them on blog header.

8.  To add text, click on "T" icon in toolbar.  You can adjust size, font and color (use color wheel for color).  If you can't find the color wheel, you can open it by selecting "Window" across top.

Make sure to include your blog title and description in your header.

9.  When your blog header is the way you like it (this may take hours or days) save as a JPEG (click "save as" and select JPEG). If you simply save it will save it as a "pdn" which will not work when you go to upload your header!

10.  Open your blog.  Under "Design", click edit for "Configure Header".  In box, you will see "Blog Title"  "Blog Description" and "Image".

Upload your image.

Underneath, in "placement", select "instead of title and description".

11.  Save your changes.

12.  Click "View Blog" and gasp at your gorgeous new header.  Or scream because you need to start over.

For us "non-computer-savvy" peeps this is a tough skill to master.  A blog header takes much trial and error.  But once you teach yourself you will have wonderful creative freedoms.

Good Luck!

5 comments:

  1. Okay,

    A: I am on the correct starting place
    B: I am not using the same program
    C: I will brew the coffee and you come over next week to show me?! Cause I am not getting it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! Cant wait to start making mine! Time to play around. Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. will try this one..thanks 4 sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep
    up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one
    today.

    Also visit my weblog 6000 a month

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I would like to subscribe for this blog to take latest updates, thus
    where can i do it please help out.

    Also visit my blog post simply click the up coming post

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!