Monday, April 29, 2013

Where Have all the Soap Operas Gone?

Growing up I have many memories of my mother sitting at the edge of our kitchen counter, lunch in front of her, watching All My Children from one to two every afternoon.  She was hooked on the trials and tribulations of everyone in Pine Valley, and still to this day loves Erica Cane. 

Naturally, as I got older, I became hooked as well.  I remember one summer, when I was in seventh or eighth grade, I was glued to the television alongside her every afternoon.  These were the days of Palmer and Opal, Erica and Dimitri and my all time favorites, Tad and Dixie. 

When school started in September, I set a VHS to record All my Children.  I watched every day after school.  I can't remember when Tad and Dixie were heating up, but I do remember one particular episode that my mom picked me up from school early to watch with her.  We were beyond addicted to the crazy story-lines and extravagant characters.

I was heartbroken when after nearly 42 years, All my Children went off the air in 2011.  I felt it was the end of an era, a time when women indulged in soap operas that were so unbelievable they provided a mid-day escape from hectic lifestyles. 

The good news is that All My Children, and One Life to Live, are returning on Hulu and Hulu Plus starting April 29th.  The all new episodes will be 30 minutes long, and many of the original cast members will return.  Hulu makes watching and enjoying your favorite shows easy, and the service is FREE.  Sign up online, and you can watch the latest episodes on your computer.

Hulu Plus is $7.99/month, and it makes watching your favorite programs easier than ever.  You can stream shows through game consoles, laptops, ipads and even smartphones.  Imagine the convenience of watching your favorite shows on-the-go, never missing an episode because you can't get home in time to watch?  Hulu Plus also offers full access to their online library, which features complete series episodes of top television hits. Best yet?  You can try it for free for one week by signing up online here.

 

I'm excited to tune in and get lost in the lives of all my favorite Pine Valley characters from the past, and the new characters set to join the show.  Watching and caring for four kids all day is mentally exhausting, and I need "me time" to unwind and recharge.  Thanks to Hulu, I will be enjoying All My Children again, one of my ultimate guilty pleasures from the past!

For a chance to win a free one year subscription to Hulu Plus, comment below and tell us:

Which characters do you miss the most from the old show?

Don't forget to comment below because one grand prize winner will also win a Roku!

Sweepstakes Rules:
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b:Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: "#SweepstakesEntry"; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
c: Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d: For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.

This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older.
Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail.
You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.

 

This sweepstakes runs from 4/29/2013-5/26/2013

Be sure to visit the sponsor's brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers reviews and find more chances to win!


59 comments:

  1. I was a Guiding Light fan. My grandmother used to LISTEN to it on the radio, back in the day! I miss Reva Shane and Josh. {SIGH} They even filmed an episode for TLC Wedding Story once! (I think they were married on the show 5 or 6 times...I lost count)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently we loved AMC during the same time frame, because Tad and Dixie and Erica and Dmitri got me hooked. And Hailey and Mateo were another favorite of mine. Once I graduated high school I had to stop watching. There just weren't enough hours in the day to work and go to college AND watch soaps. Or anything else, for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started watching AMC around 8 with my mom. I had to stop watching after 16 yrs or so of watching it due to morning work hours. Opal was one of my favorites, I absolutely loved her character. I'm really excited to start watching it again on Hulu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to say I loved Reva Shane.

    tylo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss One Life to Live's' Ross Rayburn
    kellywcu8888ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  6. tweet
    https://twitter.com/kellysaver/status/329060961547853825
    kellywcu8888ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of AMC and OLTL, I started watching AMC at the same time you did. I picked up OLTL in college. I was so heartbroken when they were canceled and I'm thrilled that they are back on Hulu. I watched yesterday and loved them. I'm so happy to have my afternoon escape back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had drafted this post before I knew about the contest.
    http://www.wineinmom.com/2013/04/love-in-afternoon.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Hulu Plus! I was obsessed with General Hospital for 2 1/2 years in high school. Sonny and Carly. Jason and Courtney. Loved them. I used to tape the show on VHS too. My senior year I abruptly stopped watching all together because I was already three weeks behind and just too busy to keep up. Still think about GH sometimes though and check in online to see what my favorite characters are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meg Ryan! I'd forgotten all about her stint in daytime TV.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tweet: https://twitter.com/OneFrugalGirl/status/329427150396592128 onefrugalgirl AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to see Todd.
    tamarsweeps-at-gmail-dot-com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen a soap in a long time, but we can't afford a cable bill, so this would be an awesome way to catch up on shows I've missed!

    chambanachik at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed all of them, but I still miss Tad, Erica, Jack, Kendall. on OLTL Jessica and Roxie (and the original Destiny)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tweeted https://twitter.com/2BeFitBy50/status/330524795001257984

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adam Chandler

    dlatany at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://twitter.com/sweetums82/status/330810158668189696

    dlatany at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My show was As the World Turns...another show that bit the dust. To this day, one of our friends calls my husband "Steve Andropoulis".

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never got into All My Children but I did used to watch Days of our Lives all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. https://twitter.com/purplelover04/status/333595354035544067

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would LOVE IT if they brought back Joey Buchanan (Nathan Fillion) to One Life to Live!!!!! I loved him on there!
    nuthouse(at)centurytel(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  22. tweeted: https://twitter.com/KerryBishop/status/333656078476787712
    nuthouse(at)centurytel(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  23. i loved All My Children - watched it since I was a teenager and I have missed it
    so much - I've missed the whole cast!

    debbiebellows (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  24. i tweeted here:

    https://twitter.com/bellows22/status/334859888385744896

    debbiebellows (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I miss erica kane.
    MCantu1019 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss Jessica from One Life to Live.

    Thanks for the chance to win!
    wildorchid985 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. tweet--https://twitter.com/WildOrchid985/status/335790750048587777

    wildorchid985 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I miss Adam Chandler!
    aleksnearing gmail com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I miss beautiful Delila from One Life to Live

    ReplyDelete
  30. My mother was the soap watcher - I was of an age where to counter her I watched the tv show soap and loved 'jessica'
    Billy Crystal was in the cast and ... just realized how much I'd like to watch those episodes again. Hulu can let us have weekend marathons where we can step back in time and discover just who Erica was, and Adam and the others then we could really tell you who we wanted back

    ReplyDelete
  31. tweeted
    https://twitter.com/bettycd/status/338288665631539200

    ReplyDelete
  32. i really miss luke and laura and erica. those my favorite all my children characters. i love watching them on huluplus now!

    susansmoaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. https://twitter.com/fdp4life/status/338404702767153154

    ReplyDelete
  34. https://twitter.com/klp1965/status/338407696581672960

    ReplyDelete
  35. I miss Erica from the old show. sweepmorey at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. tweeted https://twitter.com/mommysdizzy/status/338435253704224768

    ReplyDelete
  37. I miss Blair from One Life to Live!

    wlbellows at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  38. https://twitter.com/electricstar/status/338444532762951680

    Tweet

    wlbellows at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have never watched SOAPS but I would love to try and catch up and I would benefit greatly from the roku by being able to cut my cable bill out

    ReplyDelete
  40. The characters I miss the most are Bo and Vicki from OLTL. My mom got me hooked on the show when I was a kid and I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Tweet

    https://twitter.com/CouponTammy/status/338556446671253505

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would love to see kendall again, or Greenlee

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've always worked during the day so I never watched soaps. Now I can find out what everyone is talking about.

    willitara [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Tweet - https://twitter.com/willitara/status/338686523367100416

    willitara [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I miss Gigi and Rex.
    chipdip2010(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Tweeted https://twitter.com/chipdip2010/status/338700325139648513
    chipdip2010(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  47. I miss Erika

    daveshir2005@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. tweeted
    https://twitter.com/daveshir2005/status/338760644918640641

    daveshir2005@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. tweet
    https://twitter.com/jillyrh/status/338880570748710912

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!