Thursday, February 13, 2014

Homemade Pop Tarts

I am a lover of Pop Tarts.  Ever since I was a kid I've been a sucker for Maple Brown Sugar Pop Tarts. With the frosting.  As a result my kids are also fans of these toaster pastries.  Since I'm a bit more of a stickler for healthy eating than my mom was, Pop Tarts are not a regular purchase.

But every once in awhile we dive into a box.  It lasts one day before they are gone.

With all the snow (bleck) and all the Valentine fun this week, I decided to try homemade Pop Tarts.  I saw a recipe in the paper and I used it for reference.  They were a success, and I had requests for another batch just a day later. 

Even though they aren't the healthiest snack around, I know what's in them, and that makes them a little bit more welcome in my kitchen.

Enjoy, and if you're patience is up to it have the kids lend a hand!

You'll need:

1 large egg
1 package refrigerated pie dough
wax paper
cookie cutter (if desired)
fork

Filling ideas:

Brown sugar and cinnamon
Jam
Nutella

Vanilla Glaze:

1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400. 

Beat one large egg in a bowl, and unroll two sheets refrigerated pie dough onto wax paper.  If desired, use cookie cutter (I used hearts for Valentine's Day) to cut dough.  My dough made 16 hearts, yielding me 8 Pop Tarts.

Top half of your cut outs with 1-2 tablespoons desired filling.  Place remaining halves on top, and brush with beaten egg.  Moisten edges with egg and press firmly, use fork to seal.

Bake 12-15 minutes, or until just golden and centers slightly puff. 
Let cool, and if desired top with vanilla glaze and sprinkles.

Enjoy and stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely making these!
    I'm an old lady (kids are all adults) and I eat poptarts all the time! In fact I'm eating one right now. Homemade is always better though. :) Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't have anything to do with this post, lol...but I wanted to tell you I just found your blog and im loving it. Im a mama to 4 children and 2 stepchildren and im obsessed with all things Disney. Im enjoying your Disney posts and all your easy recipes. Keep up the good work!!! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!