Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ten (Small) Luxuries I Took for Granted Before Becoming a Parent

Being a mom rocks my world.  Seriously, it does.  Those tiny faces fill my soul and consume my thoughts, concerns and much of my happiness.  I'm only as happy as my unhappiest child, and I wouldn't trade this life for any other.

There are however, some pieces of mommy-ing that have made me completely appreciate small luxuries I took for granted before becoming a parent. In no particular order, I've thought of ten.

I should make one of these the ability to think.  But that's a whole 'nother post.

1. Quiet. Complete and total quiet. The kind you experience when no one is home or everyone except you is sleeping.  This explains why every mom stays up later than necessary, to experience the glorious sound of nothing.

I know it will get old one day.  But these days it's worth savoring.

2. Talking on the phone without someone following me, tugging at me, calling my name or making an extreme amount of noise.

3. Watching something on television, between the hours of 8am and 7pm, that is NOT on Disney Junior.

4. Sitting under a dryer at the hair salon.  Get me a large soda and I'll call it a vacation.

5. Going into a store and browsing.  Not just shopping, but browsing.  I'll even go a little farther and say buying myself something other than toiletries or something edible.

6. Taking an uninterrupted shower.  If you need to find your kids pick up the phone or get in the shower. They will come to you, I promise.  Even better? Try to hide and watch a show off your DVR.

7. Enjoying something really delicious and not having to share. If I want to eat something special, I have to hide either myself while I eat or the something special until I'm ready to eat it.

8. Cleaning just my mess. Just mine. I need a hazmat suit just to clean my toilets.

9. Breakfast that doesn't include scraps such as crust from toast, waffles or pop tarts.

10. Sleeping. Going to bed and waking up in the morning without 1-3 events such as the need for water, bad dreams, potty or puke in between.

Love my babies, and they've made me appreciate little things in life I've always taken for granted.  I know one day I'll wish for noise, water requests ten minutes after bedtime and a buddy at the store.  I can say with confidence the toilet cleaning I WILL NOT miss.


Share some of your small luxuries, I'd love to hear them.


4 comments:

  1. Last night I went to get a pedicure. Alone. I fell asleep in the chair and loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven!!!! I can't remember my last pedicure! :)

      Delete
  2. LOL too funny, and I agree with every single one of them :) I'd also like to be able to cook whatever I want for dinner without having to worry about whether or not (usually not) the kids will eat it. And having a clean car again. I miss my clean car. I tell you, if famine ever strikes I can feed the neighborhood off what is hidden between the seats in my car....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!