Monday, February 10, 2014

Valentine Shortbread Cookies

I absolutely ADORE these Valentine Shortbread Cookies.  You must enjoy a hearty melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie to appreciate these.  I appreciate them greatly.

**These cookies are easy to make, you just need the patience to roll and cut the dough..  They can be made in under an hour start to finish.  They are also extremely versatile.  Scroll down to see jelly-free variations.**

Valentine Shortbread Heart Cookies

1 cup butter (no substitutions)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Strawberry or Raspberry Jelly

Heart shaped cookie cutters, in two sizes.  I like my cookies jumbo size, so mine were 4 inches and two inches (approx).  

Preheat oven to 300.

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add vanilla.  Turn mixer to slow, and gradually add flour 1/2 cup at a time.

Blend well.

Dough will be crumbly.  Don't fret.  This dough reminds me of Moon Sand.  It does amazing things.
On clean, lightly floured surface, roll out 1/2 of dough.  You need to roll the dough out thick.  You want a thick, hearty shortbread cookie.
If you are looking for a thin, crumbly, flimsy cookie we ain't the same kind of people.

Cut hearty cookies with 4 inch heart cookie cutters, remove center of 1/2 cookies with 2 inch heart cutters.
Set on baking sheet at least one inch apart.
Bake 20 minutes on 300.  I do not wait for brown edges.  Remove from oven just before edges begin to brown.

Remove from sheet and cool on wire rack.

Once cool, spread jelly on heart cookie.  Top with cutout heart cookie.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Step back and admire your masterpiece.
A bonus to making these cookies is the extra smaller heart cookies you have from removing the center of the top cookies.

I grabbed vanilla frosting, M&M's and colored sugars to switch gears and make a few different cookies for my munchkins.

1 comment:

  1. Looks super yummy! Love your site, it's got some great stuff.
    If you have a few minutes, I would love it if you would drop by a leave a comment to let me know what you thing of my blog!
    Thanks! http://prairiegalcookin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!