Thursday, April 10, 2014

EasyThree Ingredient Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

Houston, we have a problem.  Kids don't like veggies.

In all seriousness, I know many kids who don't eat their vegetables.  Any vegetables.  Pretty scary stuff. While my kids aren't the most adventurous eaters, we love our steamed broccoli and our carrots with low fat ranch.  We eat salad and celery.  It's not so bad, but I'm always aiming for improvement.

With sports and school and homework and whatever else is happening 'round these parts, family dinners are super hard to come by.  The few days we have the time I don't have the energy or supplies to prep a complicated, time consuming meal.

I've found two products I am in love with, literally.  Add them together with Teriyaki sauce and you have a kick arse meal.  Birds Eye makes frozen vegetables in bags that you just toss in the microwave.  They steam right in the bag and in minutes you have vegetables.  While broccoli is the family favorite, I've discovered the Asian Medley.

Wowzers.  The vegetables are lightly seasoned and you could literally eat them out of the steamed bag.  

If there is one thing kids love it's new funky foods (well my kids anyway).  All I had to do was show them tiny corns and they were game.

The other product I've been crushin' on is precooked, preservative free chicken strips.  Tyson makes them and they are super easy to toss in the pan and make quick on busy nights.  Chicken strips, Birds Eye vegetables and Teriyaki sauce are all you need to make my current favorite dinner.


Directions:

Heat fry pan to medium high heat.  Add chicken strips (frozen or cook your own.)
Steam vegetables.
When chicken is cooked through (or un-frozen) add steamed vegetables and toss with Teriyaki sauce.

That's IT!

You can of course add brown rice, but if you decide against it you have an incredible meal that is under 200 calories and has 19 grams of protein (that is 1 cup vegetables and 3 oz grilled chicken).  Amazing.

A bonus?  My kids gobble this meal up.  If you have picky eaters, stay away from the fancy vegetables and try chicken and broccoli stir fry.  If you have really picky eaters set aside plain chicken strips and broccoli before you toss with the Teriyaki and serve with barbecue sauce.  Or ketchup.  Easy variation that keeps you from cooking three different meals for one sit down dinner.

This is my child enjoying the chicken, broccoli and barbecue variation.  In a princess dress because we "dress" for dinner (not).

 

Tell me some of your go-to vegetables and recipes!  I'd love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!