Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Lately I've been on a quest to buy more natural organic foods and less processed, chemical-ly (new word alert!) foods.  After seeing Jillian Michaels I decided it was time to make some long term changes.  Long term changes for me can't include banning any foods in particular, I'm more of a small steps girl.  If I can find a few organic, non GMO foods my kids enjoy in their lunches and after school I feel it's a win.

My goal is less chemicals for everyone.  We can still enjoy the junk, but I'm trying to move us all in the direction of MORE natural foods and LESS chemicals.

I've found a few great lunchbox items (Kashi Strawberry Ripe bars, Annie's Organic Chocolate Bunny Graham Crackers) that have been a success.

For the record I've found and purchased as many items that were met with disgust.  It's a process.

Instead of buying cookies with an ingredients list I can't even read, I'm making homemade whenever possible.  My theory is that I know what's in the cookies I make.  I can list on my fingers the ingredients and there is nothing unnatural tossed in "for freshness."  

I made these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies yesterday, and they are a bonafide, kids-love-them hit.

All you need is one or two, and you're satisfied.  I promise.

I make these with 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and a 1/2 cup all purpose flour.  If you struggle with the whole wheat texture in cookies, try 1 cup all purpose and 1 cup whole wheat.  I've made these for parties with the 1 cup white 1 cup whole wheat and no one even notices the whole wheat in there.  

If you're really looking to amp up the health factor try all whole wheat flour or throw in some milled flaxseed.  

3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
3/4 cup dark brown sugar (light brown works great too!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
dash salt
2 cups dark, semisweet or milk chocolate chips (your preference)

Preheat oven to 350.

With mixer, beat butter on low until smooth.  Add sugars and beat on medium high speed about 2 minutes, until creamy.  Scrape sides of bowl and add egg and vanilla.  Beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).   Turn mixer to LOW, and slowly incorporate the dry ingredients.  Mix until JUST combined.

The batter will be VERY thick.  Stir in chocolate chips.

I use an ice cream scoop to drop batter, two inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-11 minutes, remove from oven when centers are still soft and gooey and leave on cookie sheet 2-3 minutes for cookie to set before transferring to wire rack.

These cookies need to be removed from oven before edges are too brown or you will have a very crispy cookie.  Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.  Or, freeze them and toss one in a lunchbox every morning.  By the time lunch rolls around they will have a fresh cookie.

Enjoy!  Makes approximately 24 cookies.  

4 comments:

  1. We are doing the same. Yay! No more boxed mac and cheese, no more canned spaghettios. We love Annie's bunny crackers. We get them at Costco and sometimes find them on sale at our Grocery Outlet. We are slowly switching out all of our plastic storage containers for glass. Baby steps for sure as I get overwhelmed real easily.

    Thanks for this recipe! I will have to pick up some whole wheat flour. Do you know any other recipes that call for whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Hauck I just started making my pancakes with it too!!! Here is the link, but I use 1 c. whole wheat and 1/2 white flour (all whole wheat is a tad grainy). http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/

      Delete

Throw in your two cents!