Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Thoughts on Mother's Day

Mother's Day.  It's this Sunday.  Remind your families.  

Truthfully I feel whoever was in charge of creating Mother's Day did the whole thing ass backwards.  If someone really wanted to treat us moms they would have made Mother's Day on a Wednesday.  If I'm getting a break I'd rather it be on a day when homework is in the folder, lunches need to be made, bedtimes need to be enforced and order needs to be kept.  Even if I had to go to work I would still be happy to hand over the house chaos for a day.  Imagine just leaving for work and having an understanding that the house would run without you doing a thing for the whole day?

Now that's Mother's Day.

While I'm at it, businesses should offer free cocktails at lunch and dinner, and ice cream joints should offer free sundaes.  Lunch "hour" should be two hours long.  For one day, the world could handle it.  

My other issue with Mother's Day is the whole brunch scenario.  Don't get me wrong, I love brunch.  But on Mother's Day?  Those are only fun for mom if the kids are self sufficient and no one needs diapers, bottles, coloring books or toy cars.  It's only fun if the kids can use the bathroom alone and no one is emptying sugar packets all over the table.

I waited tables, I've seen it firsthand.  Moms of little ones would rather go out with friends and leave dad home with the kids if they were really looking for a break.  I'm sorry, but it's true.  Taking a mom of little ones out for a brunch with her little ones defeats the purpose of Mother's Day.  All that is is taking her work on the road. 

Hubby, our kids can handle eating out so this currently DOES NOT apply to us.  It's one of the bonuses of not having babies anymore.

The older I get the more I see the value in Mother's Day.  A day when my kids are supposed to say yes and Hubby is supposed to clean the kitchen.  Or toss in some laundry.  I love the handmade cards from my maniacs and the general love that pours out of them when they give me their gifts.

I joke and say that every day is Father's Day, but what it really means is men don't carry the worry moms carry.  They don't stay awake thinking about birthday gifts, lunches, field trips and who has clean underwear.  It's just not the same.  I don't think my kids have ever woke Hubby in the middle of the night for a bad dream.  Or puke.  Or for nightlights.  

I'm the side of the bed they meander to, and 99% of the time I'm good with it.  I've earned that badge.  The other 1% of the time I roll over and whack Hubby to get up.  He always does.

What I'm trying to say is that we deserve a day.  We do.  And if there are any husband's reading this, don't torture your wife with a brunch with three little babies and then go home and act like you celebrated.  Man up.  Send your wife to eat with her friends, and while she's there clean the house.  If you do take a mom out with her kids, I forbid you to sit her next them.  Someone else has to cut the food and wipe the hands, or it doesn't count.  Most importantly? Mom gets to eat her food before it gets cold. 

Now that's Mother's Day.  

Happy Thursday all!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh goodness, I could not agree more!!!

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!