Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday Perspectives

Yesterday I went jogging for the first time in over a week.  Working has been an adjustment, and I've had zero desire to do anything other than get my house in order every free minute I'm home.  And if I'm not getting my house in order I'm sitting, doing nothing, and loving every minute of the nothingness.

Jogging brings me such clarity; the fresh air, the time alone, music in my ears.  It's a soul cleanser.  I thought about what my kids were up to and what summer would bring.  So much excitement this time of year.  

What never ceases to amaze me is that no matter is happening in my life, I am only as happy as my unhappiest child.  My days are centered around what is happening in our family, and if my oldest son is struggling at the plate in baseball, that's what consumes me.  Not the bills or the broken dishwasher, but him and his well being.  His desire to do better and how to get him there.  

And at his games?  One double down the third baseline means more to me than anything that is unpaid, anything that needs repair or anyone that might not like me much at the moment.  

One new gymnastics skill makes me feel the same.  So does a good report card or news that one of my kids did something worth noting in school.

In one day, there is so much crap we have to deal with; bills, insurance, people, the yard, the house...the list goes on and on.  Yesterday as I ran, I realized the crap I deal with never overshadows what means the most to me in my life.  I'm proud of that.  I'm proud that a smile on my kid's face holds that value.  It should.  

The little stuff needs to be the big stuff.  Life is too short.  I'm hopeful that my footprint, at the end of the day, is full of love and life.  My family and my friends are stationed well above anything I don't have, can't buy and need to fix.  I'm blessed beyond comprehension, and I'm surrounded by a richness that money can't buy.

It makes everything money can buy less enticing, which is good because I can't afford much of it anyway!

I try to look at everything that has the potential to really bother me in one way:

"Will this matter one year from now?"

If it won't, I try to let it go.  Breathe and move on.  Or, at the very least, deal with it and not carry the annoyance with me.  I try to teach my kids the same.  Perspective is so vital to happiness, and if my home is happy, healthy and safe, I'm good.

What about you?

Happy Tuesday all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!