Friday, May 16, 2014

Working Mama

For the past four days, I've been up at dawn and putting on something other than jeans.  I never thought I'd see the day.

A few months ago, I was hired as a Unit Desk Clerk at the hospital.  Even better?  I'm in the maternity ward. If I could pick any job in the hospital, I would be a "Baby Holder" in the nursery.  After that, a nurse in the nursery. Since I'm fairly certain there is no such job as "Baby Holder", and I have no nursing degree, I was pretty stoked when I heard I was hired as a desk clerk.

So far, I've learned medical terminology, codes and other lingo.  I've also learned how to work the door and let people in. Yay me!

I'm training for a solid several weeks, and during training I work four days a week.  Once I'm on my own, I will only be three days a week.  Three days is perfect with the kids still in need of basic care such as lunches, rides and homework.  I'm also home by the time any after school activities kick in, which was the main reason I took this job.

It feels pretty nice to get up and out, and have a function other than child rearing and house cleaning.  And then again, I sit at work with urges to be house cleaning and child rearing.  I'm realizing it's all about balance.  Work will be good for me, and it will be good for the rest of the house because they will have to learn how to handle more than they handle now.  Hubby has already had to manage birthday cake order and pick up and getting everyone to school.  I've been having to handle waking up at 5:30am and making my brain work.

It's been going well.  Fingers crossed.

Happy weekend!  Enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you!!!!! That's awesome you're out and back home for after school activities, yet your husband sees them off to school. How awesome. You're so right....it is definitely all about finding a balance. And I would seriously be a "baby holder" if I could too! hehe Why don't they have that "position" yet? lol Congrats on the new job, Mama. That's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Throw in your two cents!