Thursday, July 3, 2014

Homemade Pancakes (and other matters)

It's official.  Working has cramped my free time style so badly I didn't even know it was July 4th tomorrow.  I also haven't blogged since (gasp) last Friday.

I have however learned much about entering orders, putting together Labor and Delivery Charts, registering pregnant ladies and the ins and outs of insurance.

Unfortunately I've also seen a few fetal demises due to preterm births due to moms doing things they really shouldn't be doing.  And then there are those mommies who lose their babies and I can't imagine why on Earth it would happen other than God has a better plan than any of us.

All I can say is this. If you or someone you love is doing recreational drugs stop or try to get them help.  The effects on everyone around (and inside you) are not good.  I can tell you firsthand.  

On a much brighter note, tomorrow is a holiday.  When I was growing up I remember the Fourth of July vividly.  My parents took us to breakfast at our family friends' house and we always walked down to the town races.  Eggs on spoons, potato sack races, giant pixie sticks and moms tossing rolling pins will forever remind me of July 4th.  Those memories are golden.  

With the 4th on a weekend this year, I'm sure many of you will either be entertaining, traveling or kicking back and drinking up a three day weekend.  One of my favorite breakfasts is homemade pancakes, and this recipe can be whipped up with what you already have in your kitchen.  Well, as long as you stock the basics.

If you really want to get crazy make breakfast for dinner this weekend.  The kids will love it.  And I promise these pancakes are light, delicious and fluffy.  Add chocolate chips, M&M's, sprinkles, fruit or whatever floats your little boat.  


3 cups all purpose flour (I use 1.5 whole wheat and 1.5 white to up the nutrition factor)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar

Sift (or stir if you have no sifter) these three ingredients together and then add....

2 1/2 cups milk (add more for thinner pancakes, batter tends to be thick)
2 eggs
6 tablespoons melted butter

Stir until large lumps are gone.  Heat frying pan or griddle to medium high and drizzle oil for easy flipping (I also love those crispy edges...) Pour batter by the 1/2 cup onto hot griddle.  Turn when pancakes are bubbling, make sure to cook through.

Enjoy and happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!