Monday, July 7, 2014

Truth Telling


I'm on vacation.  It's fabulous.  With all the time I spend on the beach, at the pool, walking, biking and jogging I've been thinking about everything going on in my life and everything that has gone on in the past year.

It's a lot to think about.

I've learned more in the past year about tough times than any other year of my life, and I'm pretty sure even though the changes and realizations are big they are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.  When my husband came home from work on a Wednesday afternoon in October of last year and told me he lost his job, my heart sank.  I wanted so badly for him to be joking.  I didn't know what we'd do because we were always playing catch up in terms of finances, and I wondered what happened when you didn't have finances.

What would happen to us if he didn't find another job?  What about insurance?  How were we we going to navigate this and come out the other side still afloat?

I tell you that crap is scary.  I wanted to hide.  I was embarrassed and I couldn't even imagine sharing the news with anyone because I didn't want to be pitied.  I knew I would figure it out, I just needed time.  I was determined to march on and make sure everything would be okay.

And it was.  

I'm realizing that I'm not alone in wanting to hide when life hands you a shit card.  It's so tempting to put on a brave face and sugar coat what's happening.  But I've found comfort in sharing.  I've found support.  My eyes were open to the fact that I wasn't alone.  I had friends tell me about bankruptcies and bills.  I heard stories about low bank accounts and not being able to afford homes.

People shared with me because I shared with them.  We didn't hide and we didn't pretend.  It was liberating and I decided to forever be a truth teller. 

Real life is happening to everyone.  Facebook highlight reels are fun to browse, but they aren't real.  We're all dealing with tough issues in our families, careers, personal lives and with our kids.  Life is hard.  But it's in sharing that we realize we're not alone.  We can hold our heads high because we aren't the only ones who are experiencing struggles.  Maybe the area we live in makes people more prone to opening up, but we all should feel safe enough to be truthful.  We don't need facades.  If people judge or say something unfortunate, it says more about them than it does about you.  

In being honest with ourselves me and my husband found honesty in others.  We continued to be thankful and move forward. Real troubles are ones you can't control; ours were a hiccup in an otherwise blessed existence.  

Small potatoes.

Wouldn't life be so much easier if we were all truth tellers?  If we left being proud in the past and embraced being real and honest and we shared the bad stuff too?

I'm ready.

Vacation has put it all in perspective.  Reflection has done wonders for the soul.

Happy Monday all.  Make it a blessed week of truth telling.  You may be amazed at what you learn about the people around you when you share YOUR story.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Throw in your two cents!