Tuesday, March 10, 2015

10 Household Uses for Baking Soda

This past year I’ve been writing blogs about simple household stuff that can be used in a variety of ways. I’ve written about different uses for toothpaste, Hydrogen Peroxide, Borox and Distilled White Vinegar. Today I’m hittin’ up Baking Soda.

There are many reasons I like to use basic household supplies in a variety of ways. I save money and I expose my kids to less toxins. I’m not a cynic, but I do think that the crazy world of marketing has us believing we need a lot more than we actually do.

Today, I’m looking at the amazing world of Baking Soda, and all it’s fabulous possibilities…

Deodorize Carpets
           
             Aside from baking, this is my favorite use for Baking Soda.  Sprinkle on your carpets and let sit for at least fifteen minutes.  Vacuum up for a fresh scent.

Car Cleaner

            Use Baking Soda on chrome, vinyl, tires and windows without the worry of scratch marks.  

Back of the Fridge

            This one is no surprise but I had to include it.  An open box of Baking Soda in the back of the fridge neutralizes odors.       

Deodorant

Baking Soda can be used underarm to neutralize odors. This is a great solution when you are out of deodorant. I may or may not have been there.

Mouthwash

Add one teaspoon to half a glass of water and swish. Using baking soda gets rid of odors, it won’t just mask them.

Face Wash

Mix three teaspoons baking soda with one teaspoon water and rub in circular motion. Rinse. This is a gentle wash that can be used daily.

Clean Brushes and Combs

Fill a large bowl with warm water and add a teaspoon baking soda. Soak your brushes and combs to remove residue.

Laundry

Add ½ cup baking soda to your laundry detergent to boost cleaning.

Deodorize Sports Bags and Shoes

Sprinkle baking soda in smelly gym bags and shoes and let sit overnight. Shake out the next day and enjoy the freshness.

Clean the Sink

Sprinkle baking soda in the sink and scrub with a sponge. Pour a ½ cup down the drain and run the warm water to deodorize the drain.

Do you have any Baking Soda tricks? Share them in the comments!

1 comment:

Throw in your two cents!