Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Powerball Fever

This past week, everyone seems to have Powerball fever.  The stories on the yahoo front page, the articles in the newspaper, the news and all the morning shows are featuring this huge jackpot.

I've read articles on what to do if you win, what the odds are, how much the winner will take home, whether annuity or lump sum is better and even how to handle office lottery pools.

It's madness.  I'm still buying a ticket, but it's madness.

When the jackpot grew to over a billion dollars (can anyone else say that without an image of Dr. Evil?) I turned to Hubby and commented that no one needs that much money.  No one.  Lump sum, annuity...it's more than anyone would ever need.

I realized that with that kind of dough, my kids don't need to go to college or find a trade.  They wouldn't ever need to work. That alone scared the crap out of me. What happens when the reality of needing to succeed in order to make a living is gone?

Spanish grades? Who cares.  Being a part of clubs and activities? Why bother. It's all too easy to lose the desire to work hard.  Teaching my kids to still bust their butts will rapidly climb to the top of my "to-do" list if I ever came into that much wealth.

The hardest part, in my opinion, with winning that much money is not losing yourself. When you can have anything you want, and not ever have to work for it, that's a frightening situation. Financial planners and lawyers will be top priority, but so will finding a way to retain some sense of who you are.

For me, it all boils down to this...I'm already rich.  I have family and friends that money could never buy. Every day I work for 7.5 hours and I make nada in the grand scheme of things.  But I work for it, it's mine. That small paycheck buys haircuts for the boys and Auntie Anne's when the mood strikes.

Would I love to build my own house and buy a SUV? Of course. For now, my minivan will do. 

I'm playing, I'm game.  I would love to take care of my family and my kids and my kids' kids for years to come.  But if I come up short?  I'm still a winner.     

And that kind of comfort money could never buy.


1 comment:

Throw in your two cents!