Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Easy Irish Soda Bread

I have a deep sincere love for Irish Soda Bread.

This love is real.

When I am in the presence of a loaf of soda bread I must cut and toast a slice.  And slather it with butter.

I then cut another sliver.  Just a small, little sliver.  Hardly even a piece.

And then I have to even out the loaf.  This piece doesn't even count because the edges were uneven.  I could never leave it looking messy.

Not my style. 

Before I know, the Irish Soda Bread is no more.  Between myself and my munchkins this bread lasts about 24 hours.

But it had a wonderful life and it was loved.

Thank Heavens St. Patrick's Day is only once a year.  My pants couldn't take any more than that.

1/2 c. white sugar
4 c. all purpose flour (plus a tbsp for dusting)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. raisins
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 c. sour cream

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 inch cake pan.

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and raisins.

In small bowl, lightly beat eggs and add buttermilk and sour cream.
Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until flour is moistened.  Knead dough in bowl with additional 15-20 strokes.  Dough will be sticky.
Turn dough into pan and pat down.  Make a 4"x1" slice in middle and dust with flour.
Bake 55-65 minutes or until center is just done when toothpick is inserted.  I like to remove bread when center is a tad moist and minimal dough is on pick when center is pierced.

I don't do dry baked goods.  This includes my bread.

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

While bread is still hot from oven cut yourself a slice and slather it with butter.  Eat it.
 Then even out the bread because you know you cut it sloppy.

Do your best to stop yourself there.

Have a fabulous Tuesday!

**Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!