Friday, April 8, 2016

Chicken and Rice

There are a handful of meals that bring me straight back to my mother's kitchen.

Let me rephrase.

There are a handful of meals that bring me straight back to my mother's kitchen in our old house.  I am in my mother's current kitchen several times a week.

I am one of six kids.  My mother prepared simple, easy, delicious meals and we enjoyed them all-you-can-eat family style.  She had to prepare enough food to feed a small army and it was set out in the kitchen for all to enjoy whenever they cruised through.

My stomach ate itself every time I caught the aroma of this dish cookin'.  I lingered in the kitchen, probably driving her crazy, while I waited for dinner to be ready.

And now, I'm sharing it with you.

Enjoy!


This fed our family of 6 and we have leftovers in the fridge.  Makes 4 adult sized servings.

2 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (NOT Boil in Bag.  I used Minute Whole Grain Brown Rice)
1 lb thin sliced chicken breasts
1 can Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup
Chopped Carrots (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease bottom and sides of 9x13 baking dish.

Spread uncooked rice evenly on bottom of dish.  Top with chicken breasts.
Spread soup over top of chicken.  Fill empty soup can with water and add to dish, using fork to slightly mix in.  Repeat with another 1/2 to 3/4 can water.
Sprinkle soup mix on top.  Add carrots for color if desired.  Cover dish with foil.
Bake at 350 for 60 minutes.  

Savor the meal and enjoy the leftovers!  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw in your two cents!